1. FAT IS THE ENEMY. This is probably the most common thing that we hear. Companies labeling their food items as "Fat Free" will make many people snatch them up faster than Rich Froning's Fran time...HAHAHA...haha...ha...(crickets). Never mind. Anyway, people see the label and assume that it's healthier than other items because fat is what makes us fat, right? WRONG! Fat is not the enemy - SUGAR is the enemy. Most fat-free items substitute the fat-content with extra sugar. Do you believe me?...IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU BELIEVE ME! It's the truth. We NEED fat. Most Americans have been avoiding meat & fat and loading up on grains and fruit and oatmeal and milk. Here's the deal: avoid sugar and eat healthy fats like nuts & seeds, avocado, olive oil, coconut, etc. You're welcome.
2. EAT ONLY LEAN MEATS AND STAY AWAY FROM RED MEAT. I'm sure you've heard the argument about fatty meats clogging arteries and making you fat. Not true. Your body knows what to do with natural fat. There's no need to eat only chicken and turkey breasts...eat some thighs, roasts, ribs, loins, steaks, wings...EAT IT ALL. As far as red meat, if you don't eat it, you're missing out - it contains so many nutrients that you can't get anywhere else. By the way, if you've been eating pork because you thought it was healthier than red meat, the joke is on you - pork is red meat, not white meat - no matter what the commercial says. The other part of the joke is that it doesn't matter anyway. Eat meat.
3. ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS ARE SAFER & HEALTHIER THAN SUGAR. Don't base your diet on this. Diabetics have been hearing this for decades: "use artificial sweeteners because they will not raise your blood sugar." The fact is that artificial sweeteners still impact blood sugar levels. Sounds hokie, but when your brain gets the signal that you're tasting something sweet (even if it's artificial) it raises your blood sugar level by neurological response. Again, don't get too caught up in the science of it all, just accept it. You're much better off using natural unprocessed sweeteners or none at all.
4. A CALORIE IS A CALORIE IS A CALORIE - CALORIES IN vs CALORIES OUT. This is a bit misleading...let's say that Person A eats a 3000 calorie a day diet consisting of Snickers Bars, M&M's, Twizzlers, and Mountain Dew. Person B eats a 3500 calorie a day diet of equal portions of protein, fat, and carbohydrate with whole foods. They both expend the same amount of energy every day. I guarantee that Person B will AT LEAST get leaner and more than likely lose the same amount or more weight as Person A. Don't believe me? Try it. I'm sure you can find someone who will follow Person A's diet.
5. EAT EVERY THREE HOURS TO SPEED UP YOUR METABOLISM. Another very common one. This is mostly based on anecdotal evidence...not actual science or results. Sure, you might try it and lose weight, but is it because you're eating every three hours or that you're eating healthier foods, or because you started a new workout program? Here's another fact: it doesn't matter WHEN you eat, it matters WHAT you eat. Period.
6. DON'T EAT AFTER 6pm. See #5.
That's enough for now...don't want to throw too many things at you right now. Plus, some of these may be hard to swallow for alot of you. There's really no sense trying to negotiate any of these - there's no way around them. The more we get into the nutrition aspect of what we do, the more you're going to realize that there's no pill, powder, or shake...no shortcuts...that will give you the results that a good clean diet combined with a high intensity fitness program will get you. Remember that your coaches are always here to answer any questions you may have and to support you. Use us :)
- Coach Roman